Guess Who's Cute Craft Is On The Front Cover Of A Magazine!?


I hope you guessed mine.......!




OhmygoshholycowI'msoexcitedIcan'tbelieveI'mactuallyinamagazine!!!!!!

Ok, Emily......take a deep breath and start over.




Alrighty, so one of the editors (hi Brian!) contacted me a llloooooooonnnnngggg time ago about putting my cute Glowing Jack O'Lanterns in their magazine. So of course I said YES!! Then,.......he emailed again and said the Editor-in-Chief (impressive title huh?) wanted to write about it on her Editor's page! I couldn't believe it!!






So, last night, I'm at the store getting 20lbs of sugar (marathon jam-making session and ran out of sugar) and there it was........I recognized the jars right away!! I was so excited I wanted to tell everyone standing in line with me!!! Ok, maybe not everyone since it was 11pm and there were a few questionable characters in line with me. But, I sped hurried home and was so excited, I jumped on our bed and scared my hubby awake to show him (sorry honey).

Anyhoo, I thought I would re-post the cute craft for you guys, since those are from over 2 years ago!! And the pics of the "monsters" versions too. You can also read the issue and see the cute ones they made for the magazine.......they turned out adorable!!

Thank you Woman's Day for letting me be part of your great magazine!

September 4th, 2009


Hey there!!

Today we have Freecycle Friday!!!!




And we are making these awesome Glowing jack O'Lanterns made with recycled glass jars (I have enough jars to make a TON of these :)

So, I was perusing Instructables a few weeks ago and found this awesome chick, who made these! So cute huh?

So I HAD to make some!!

(especially since I have a million jars laying around.....sorry honey)

But, I figured I would go ahead and post a tute, 'cuz I love you all ssoooooo much!




You will need:
5 glass jars of varying sizes (I think the varying sizes make it more interesting)
    Some orange tissue paper (If you are anything like me.....you save tissue paper from EVERY gift you get but,.......NOT ORANGE! But luckily this was only $1 buck at Walmart)
    Mod podge (Yes, I've had that bottle awhile.....no matter how much I use it, it never runs out!)
    Black paper
    Green paint


Start by cutting the tissue paper into strips about 1.5 - 2 inches wide. Measure the height of your jars and cut the tissue paper strips to that size.






Paint Mod Podge, a section at a time, onto the outside of the jar. lay down a strip of paper and smooth it down well. Then, move onto the next section. Don't worry if it's a little wrinkly, it doesn't show once it's dry.
I loved the way she overlapped the strips of paper to make it look more pumpkin-y (is that a word?)




Keep going till you get the jar covered. Then, work on cutting out the faces for them. You can click here and here to download a template of the faces I used and size them according to the sizes of your jars.





Glue the faces on and paint the tops with some pretty green paint and then brush on a coat or 2 of Mod Podge (I used glossy so it looks shiny like it's part of the jar :)
I ended up having to use vinyl for the faces since i didn't have any black paper on hand and I didn't feel like running out just to get paper.
Let them cure for 24 hours and.....


(in my office)


(in the sun)




(in the dark.....Ooooooooo scary)
Ta Da!




Your very own glowing jack o'lanterns!!
So Cute!! My girls are LOVING these!!
They were easy to make, AND your older kiddos can help do them. I'm thinking about using some baby food jars and letting my girls make some tiny ones to show in their room.
You can even use candles or those neat (fake) tealights in them for a fun effect :)

And here are the "Monsters":









Have fun and be sure to check me out in Woman's Day!!!!!


No comments: